9 tips on brooding that you should know
1. Brooding is weather or location dependent. But, a good brooding shouldn’t be less than 0 – 3 weeks.
2. Most people make mistake of mistaken early feather coverings or growth on birds as a good brooding practice and therefore no need of supplying heat anymore.
3. This practise is wrong simply because for the period of brooding, your birds secretes or generate a certain required amount of insulin which is responsible for feather growth and body temperature regulation. This insulin is gotten from the proteinous content of the feed they take in.
4. The insulin is meant to be secreted in minute quantity especially where there’s adequate supply of heat. This therefore means that when you fail to supply adequate heat during brooding, the birds will be forced to convert the larger part of the protein feed content into insulin which will make them generate feathers ontime that will be used to regulate thier body temperature
READ ALSO: Experiment in Breeding tougher tilapia
5. So, if you withdraw heat from your birds simply because they have feather growing already they have only been successful In converting the feed meant for body weight into feathers generation. And you’ll agree with me that most feeds that comes with super starter or starter has greater percentage of protein contents.
6. Irrespective of your weather location, there’s a temperature guide for the period of brooding practices. More reason why you need a Thermometer to measure the heat intensity and regulate appropriately.There are other ways to justify if heat is adequate in the brooding room as well.
7. A well brooded bird at 3 weeks will in turn show you little or no feathers, protruded anus region with a bulky visible flesh and thick legs.. This is so because they’ve have been able to have good FCR instead of converting the feed to generate feathers.
8. If you’re conversant with your birds, you’ll easily notice that the birds with more feather coverings mostly has lesser weight compared to the ones with less feathers but with visible thick flesh.
9. Practice good brooding because it is the major indicator for birds who will come up with good FCR and produce good average weight for you.