How to make poultry farming a profitable business
Poultry farming today is a huge business that is split into several operations including hatcheries, pullet farms for meat production, or farms for egg production.
The poultry industry provides a good employment opportunity along with agricultural activities. The poultry entrepreneurs are very much concentrated in utilizing the farm optimally enriching maximum output through selling the eggs and other allied products like feathers, gunny bags and poultry litters etc.
Poultry farming business is highly profitable if it is properly run under the acceptable methods. Each type of livestock farming, poultry included, follows specific operational principles if they must run profitably, but when such principles are ignored by the farm authority, it causes in serious losses.
The over motivation for starting any business is to gain profit. It become unfortunate. However, many poultry farmers don’t take the time to want to learn why some poultry farmers become failed. It is widely known that most poultry farmers have been forced out of business when they could not be able to operate business profitably. To gain success in the project of poultry farming, a lots of works are involved. According to the expert, “it is not for a lazy man’s business”.
Factors that can make Poultry Farming a Profitable Business:
There remains a lot of factors that makes your poultry farming business a profitable project. Here are some major factors which as follows:
1. Go for experienced labour: To maximize your poultry profits, you must hire experienced labour in your poultry farm.
2. Ensure Proper and Healthy Housing of The Birds: The most important factor to consider is that the poultry housing system. Poultry housing system determines up to the 40% of the success rate you able to achieve in poultry farming. A good housing system is most important purpose for your business.
3. Effective Marketing Strategy:
A. For Broilers: The birds which have can be the marketable weight should be sold. Even though your chickens are of the same age, when they feed, they gain weight differently. Because of this reason, you need to sort your birds to separate the weightier ones from the rest. When you do this, you can sell the weightier ones at higher prices and make more gains.
Read also: How to maintain profit during feed hikes
B. For table eggs: You have to survey the market, before investing in egg production. Marketing arrangements can be made in, local departmental store,local hotels, restaurants, local bakeries, cafeterias, groceries, and also other regular users. This may ensure the regular orders for the eggs. Sell graded or classified eggs. Properly grading or classification may be attract all the types of consumers. This would be able to the consumers make purchasing decision on egg size at hand. It is better to sell only clean eggs. Dry or wet cleaning of eggs should be a good practice on the farm. Reducing breakage and spoilage of eggs to the minimum case.
Read also: Keeping farm records: all you need to know
4. Have your own sales outlet: Another way for your poultry farm business profitable through your own sales outlet and not rely only on supplying to retailers. You don’t have to have too many sales outlets; you can start with just one. You can sell your own branded chickens and chicken parts and fresh eggs to consumers.
5. You can employ sales representatives: Don’t think that your business is too small to employ sales reps or that poultry business is not serious enough to have sales representatives.
6. Poultry Equipment and Appliances: There may be a very long list of equipment and other facilities to put it in place in order to fully manage a poultry farm. You should able to make a list of all the items you may need, find out the prices of these and compare them in different prices to further give you an idea of the costs of setting up poultry farm. The following equipment can be needed for a poultry farm and for their uses such as: Feeders, Drinkers, Perches, Nests, Crates, Lighting system, Waste disposal system, Incubator, Heaters or brooders, Egg tray, Cages and coops etc.
7. Optimize your poultry feed: Another important factor that can help you to maximize your poultry farming profit is feed optimization. Feed optimization is very important because feed takes up a major part of the cost of chicken production. In addition, the birds need feed and water which they convert in their body toproduce meat and eggs. Therefore, to maximize your poultry profit, you must cut down on the cost of feeding the birds.
8. Government grants-: Agriculture is something that the government is always interested in. And that is why there are a lot of support programs for investors in the agricultural sector. Such support programs come in the form of government-backed loans and grants. You should look out for such grants and apply for them.
Contributed by: poultryreporter.com
For more information you can join our WhatsApp group via: https://chat.whatsapp.com/Gyawwec0FzvEdDCRBZErbG