How to do Organic Pig Farming; Tips and Tricks
One of the most sustainable industries in India is the pig farming sector. In harsh conditions, pigs are resilient and hence can survive well. Pigs provide a perfect food for the conversion ratio of meat. Pigs are primarily grown for food and skin (e.g. bacon, ham, gammon).
The breeding and feeding of domestic pigs as animals is ecological pig farming. Organic pig farming aims to provide the best conditions for management and housing that ensure a high degree of animal care and health, nutrition, a closed soil-plant-animal cycle, and high-quality goods are produced. Since many farmers are interested in raising pigs that are as healthy as possible, there is a big market for organic pig feed.
Organic livestock is a part of organic agriculture that is sustainable. It is probably convenient to grow pigs on organic diets. The farmers who go in this direction will stick to additional conventional methods of farming to a confident degree.
Read also: 4- step guide to pig feeding and rations
Access to the outdoors for pigs is necessary, but raising pigs on farm is not essential under organic regulations. As their agriculture and environment allow, many organic pig farmers use pastures, but being grazing-based is not a prerequisite for certified organic pig production.
Organic pigs deserve to have access to clean and dry bedding. It must be from organic crops if you are using crop residue as bedding. Since most organic pigs are part of a broader organic livestock and crop farm that practices comprehensive crop rotations, it is not necessarily troublesome to obtain organic bedding.
Advantages of Farming Organic Pigs
The benefits of pig farming are:
- In contrast to every other class of meat-producing animals except broilers, pig has highest improved feed capacity.
- A pig may use a large range of feedstuffs, i.e. Forages, seeds, degraded feed and garbage and turned into precious nutritious meat. Feeding waste, degraded crop, and other unstable rations can, however, contribute to lower feed quality.
- For shorter generation cycles, they are prolific. In each farrowing, a sow can be born as early as 8 to 9 months of age and can farrow twice a year and raise 6 to 12 piglets.
- A small investment in equipment and facilities is what pig farming wants.
- It provides opportunities for jobs f or other individuals and lets you be the true leader of the team.
- This grants you economic independence. You will start really easily on a passive income and be your manager.
- Starting is simple. You may also start doing another work as a part-time job.
- It offers you an opportunity to establish a business monopoly.
- Pig farming will improve India’s economy and allows individuals to be self-employed.
- Pig farming seems to be a fraction of the dirty work in India, but it is a very simple and lucrative sector.
- There are several Pig breeds available on the markets, when selecting a high and stable productive breed; you need to be very cautious. Some of the examples are the big white Yorkshire Landrace, Hampshire, Ghangaru etc.
Read also: 5 Great pig farming tips
Important ingredients in organic feed for pigs
Organic Pigs are kept in conditions that let them express their natural behavior. Most organic Pigs will be outdoors all year round, though indoor housing is allowable in severe weather. It is illegal to use antibiotics repetitively on organic animals. If they are unwell or not, many non-organic pigs, chickens, and dairy cows frequently receive antibiotics which in turn affects the animals.
Design of farms in Organic Pig Farming
There must be as much distance as possible between Pig farms and there must be a proper distance between the different age groups. The immunity and tolerance of older pigs to pathogens is higher than that of younger pigs. Poor ventilation and overcrowding are two of the important factors that contribute to disease and poor performance. The office must be near the loading ramp. Heat stress is a common problem. Farmers must identify that management practices that permit Pigs to be stressed contribute to diseases.
Read also: Preventing piglets’ exposure to disease
Health and wellbeing progress in organic pig production
Producers of organic pigs face the primary challenge of providing high quality beef. In organic pig manufacturing, non-genetically engineered vaccines are promoted and allowable. It is appropriate to inject newborn pigs with supplementary iron to avoid anaemia. It is not illegal to use feed additives such as probiotics, organic acids and directly feeding microbial products to improve animal wellbeing, although not all health-promoting feed additives are approved for use in organic farming. Artificial insemination is appropriate, but in organic agriculture, the administering of hormones to synchronize estrus or induce development is forbidden. Organic piglets must be maintained on grazing for at least one year before they are moved to a new field.
For more information and updates join our WhatsApp group HERE
Follow us on Twitter Here